In 1956 three Iron Mountain businessmen, Eugene Carollo, Albert Carollo, and James Goulette had an idea for an attraction that would give people a view of iron mining as it once existed. On the site of the East Vulcan mine Eugene Carollo re-discovered an exploratory tunnel, which had not been used since the late 1800's.
The mining equipment was renovated and installed on several locations to show the early methods of mining. 2 buildings were constructed, and admissions building and gift shop as well as museum showing the machinery. Big John, a 40 ft giant replica of a miner, was positioned in the parking lot. Walking tours began in 1958 and a train was added in 1965.
The tours venture 2600 feet down into the "Big Stope", a huge man-made underground cavity. As of 2022 the attraction remains popular with visitors from all over. The mine operates on a seasonal basis from Memorial day to Oct 15th.