Highland has some nice attractions. The downtown section has a vintage gas station. Right up the street is a great market called Colasanti's which has great fresh produce and meats. There is also the site of the old Edsel Ford House (Haven Hill) nearby (technically it is in White Lake), which sadly burnt down but remnants remain in the middle of a park off of M-59. It is said to be haunted. There is also an old house in a small park off of Livingston Rd the kids call "Park House" which is also supposed to be haunted.
From Michigan County Maps
Zenas Phelps and George Lee were among the first settlers here, about 1835. The township was named for its elevation, at the time the highest land in
the vast swamp west of Detroit. A P.O. opened in 1835. Germain St. John and Almon Rubbles platted the village in 1871 when the F. & P.M. Railroad came through. In 1873 the spring Mills P.O. moved here and was renamed HIGHLAND STATION, then Highland in 1903, and WEST HIGHLAND in 1906, when it closed.
From Michigan Place Names
Oakland County: named after the township which was so named because of its elevation; among the first settlers were Zenas Phelps and George Lee, about 1835. Jonathan F. Stratton became its first postmaster on March 16, 1835. Upon completion of the Flint & Pere Marquette Railroad in 1871, the village was platted by Germain St. John and Almon Ruggles. On Dec 23 1873, the Spring Mills post office was moved here and renamed Highland Station. It was renamed Highland on March 26, 1903, and West Highland on Feb 2, 1906, but operated until only Oct 13 1906. [Seeley; Durant; PO Archives]