Founded in 1824, Byron received its first postmaster in 1837. One of the only towns in the county, Byron was the last stop on a stagecoach run from Detroit that ran west along what is now Rose Center road and Silver Lake road. The Village of Byron was incorporated in 1873. The Toledo, Ann Arbor & Northern Michigan Railway was built through Byron following the pledge of a $15,001. bonus and the right of way, in 1885.
Michigan Place Names
Shiawassee County: founded by Judge Samuel W. Dexter in 1824. He transferred his lands in 1836 to Major Francis J. Prevost who became the first postmaster on Aug. 12, 1837. He was succeeded in 1842 by Holden White who had opened the first store here. Incorporated as a village in 1873, with Charles K. Lemmon as resident. A station on the Ann Arbor Railroad. Named after its township [LW Van Alstine; Campbell)