Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
In 1888, this settlement was named in honor of Wellington R. Burt, the lumber tycoon who arranged for the Cincinnati, Saginaw and Mackinaw Railroad to run through this village. During his 1888 gubernatorial campaign, Burt donated $1,000 for the construction of a township building. Henry Youmans, also seeking an office, supplied the bricks, ironically, neither man carried the township in the election that year.
Local resident Sarah A. Miller gave the land with a deed stipulating that any structure built be used for education, social and wholesome amusements, and meetings, and public gatherings dedicated to free thought, free speech and good government. Townspeople contributed labor and additional funds for the erection of this hall, dedicated in 1891. The Burt Opera House has hosted vaudeville shows, weddings, local fairs, township meetings and elections.