City Opera House - Traverse City MI

Address: 106 E Front St # 12
City: Traverse City
State: MI
Zip: 49684
County: Grand Traverse
Open: 1891
Capacity:
Owner History:
Theater Type: N/A
Number of visits to this page: 10334
Disclaimer:

Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance or features of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.

General Information:

Source: Michigan's Historical Markers

In 1891 three brothers-in-law Anthony Bartak, Charles Wilhelm and Frank Votruba built this 1,200-seat Victorian opera house. Designed by E. R. Prall of Pontiac, the opera house was the first facility in Traverse City to use electric lights. It has a 43-foot ceiling, hardwood maple floors and excellent acoustics. Built as a meeting hall and auditorium, the opera house hosted concerts, traveling plays, vaudeville shows, high school graduations, dinners and balls.

In 1920 a motion picture firm leased the opera house and closed it to avoid competition with its own film theaters. The building was used briefly during the Depression for a WPA project creating miniature city buildings. In 1971 it was listed on the national and state historic registers. In 1978 the City Opera House Heritage Committee began raising money to restore the structure. In 1980 the opera house was given to Traverse City by the descendants of one of the original owners, Frank Votruba.

Info Updates:
10/9/2007 - Linda Barry
After a several phase reconstruction, the beautiful COH re-opened the spring of 2007 for various events.
 Photos:3
City Opera House - INTERIOR
INTERIOR
City Opera House - RECENT PIC
RECENT PIC
City Opera House - 1909 FROM PAUL PETOSKEY
1909 FROM PAUL PETOSKEY
WaterWinterWonderland.com © 2022 Over 60,697,979 Served