Please note that location entries may feature older photos or post card views that may not represent the current appearance, features, addresses, phone numbers, or contact names of the attraction. This site is intended to be a historical as well as current record of various attractions but it is not always possible to have up-to-date information due to the vast number of locations featured here. We ask you consult the propietor for current information.
Source: Cinema Treasures
The Terrace was the first new movie house in the Detroit area opened since the late 40s, not counting the Campus in Ann Arbor (1956). It opened in late 1962 with "The Music Man" which was released in Super Technirama 70 (70mm with stereophonic sound). The Terrace sat around 1200 and was designed by Ted Rogvoy, who also was responsible for area theaters like the Mercury in Detroit and the Penn in Plymouth.
It was designed in 'Chinese Garden' style, with minimal interior decor, though its canopy marquee was one of the largest ever built in the state, at 52 feet long. Also, its screen was enormous, as well, measuring 59' by 27'. The Terrace originally was operated jointly by the Wisper and Wetsman and Suburban Detroit Theatres chains. In the early 70s, the auditorium was twinned, and it became the Terrace 1-2. In the 80s, it was turned into a quad, when taken over by the Cinemark chain, and renamed the Cinemark Terrace 4. The Terrace closed, and was later converted into an auto showroom for a local dealer.